Updated: Feb 22, 2019
I used to think there wasn't a woman alive who wouldn’t love to own a Gucci handbag until the Italian brand recently faced backlash after photos of its $890 “balaclava jumper” was criticised for heavily resembling blackface. A number of celebrities have publicly condemned the luxury fashion brand and have vowed to boycott it as a result. However, I was surprised after conducting an insta-poll that 67% of participants were supportive of the boycott while 33% felt life was still "Gucci" :) ...Honestly I've been on the fence with this one and totally see this issue from multiple perspectives so for the sake of your attention span I'll digress but let's be clear I WILL NOT relinquish my labels just yet.
The Gucci fashion house has a rich heritage and, if you ask me, their handbags are really the stars of their collections. Although many of their pieces are trendy, they always utilize classic detailing and quality materials in every bag. No matter which style you go with, it’s sure to make heads turn.
Today, though, we’re going to talk about the Gucci Soho medium chain strap tote. This bag is totally of-the-minute and, ladies, it’s a stunner! It’s a little bit of a classic, a little bit rock n’ roll, and 100% a piece of art. This beauty made the suitcase cut on my most recent trip to Los Angeles. Boy! did I have a blast flaunting her on Rodeo.
Of course, it’s always important to pay attention to the details when it comes to big purchases, so I went ahead and did a little research for you. Here’s what I found:
Country of manufacture: Italy
Style: Shoulder bag with dual chain link straps
Color: Available in a variety of colors including black, blush, and red
Material: Pebbled leather exterior with natural cotton linen lining
Measurements: 15”L x 10.5”H x 5”D
Shoulder strap drop: 7”
Features: One large zip pocket and two smaller pockets
Availability: Gucci boutiques and select high-end department stores
Estimated Retail Value: $1,650+ (excluding shipping/taxes)
· Pebbled leather exterior is durable and resistant to scratching
· Roomy interior: I can fit a makeup bag, wallet, glasses case, water bottle, cell phone, and large book, with room leftover
· Light-colored lining makes it easy to see and find the items inside your bag
· Chain straps are adjustable and be worn as a double chain for a shoulder bag or a single chain for a longer look
· Leather shoulder guards make the chain straps comfortable to wear
· Even though it is fairly large, it is a light bag
· A detachable leather tassel allows you to switch up the look of your bag
· The only closure is a toggle in the center of the bag, leaving it semi-open at all times
· Light interior has the potential to stain... This not the handbag for loose ink pens or makeup.
As you can see, the pros far outweigh the cons. Overall, this is a glamorous yet practical shoulder bag to carry your daily essentials.
I’d rate this beauty 4 out of 5 stars!